Photo by Kristen, community plot holder
All the hard work you have invested is paying off in huge harvests we are giving away! Last Friday we gave away over 117 pounds including donations of squash from Beverly, plus community plotholders' donations. Most of the produce went to God’s Pantry at Ocean Lakes. Saturday they blessed 37 families and also helped another church!!
EVERYTHING is ripe now, even okra! The more we pick, the more the plants will produce.
*If you know someone in need of food, we are glad to share directly. Here are some ways:
– Stop by when we harvest 3 mornings a week: Mondays 7:30, Wednesdays 7:30 and Fridays 8:30 am. After produce is weighed and logged you can take a bag.
– Contact me about harvesting on weekends. The yield is to small for a food pantry but just right for a family. We will train them.
– Visit Nimmo’s Garden Pantry on Tuesday, July 28th from 12 – 2 pm. It will be open twice a month and offer non-perishables as well garden produce. People can stop by for contact-less pickup. See flyer below for details.
THIS WEEK at the garden: It’s very hot out so please bring hat, sunscreen, gloves, water bottle and tools. Electrolyte powder/drink is huge help (Gatorade, Propel, etc.)
Early Bird work party Wednesday 7:30-9:30 am Harvest expansion plot & Giving Garden; Tomatoes & Expansion – apply Epsom salts, weed, trim & tie; water seedlngs; weed expansion area.
Three Oaks Elementary School Thursday 8:30-10:30am Water, harvest, apply Neem oil & Epsom salts; weed & mulch flower beds,
TGIFriday work party 8:30-10:30 am (*Note new time) Harvest; Pepper care – apply Epsom salts; tend tomatoes; weed & mulch asparagus patch.
Three Oaks Elementary School Monday 8:30-10:30am – Water, harvest, weed & mulch flower beds.
· shredded newspaper for asparagus patch
· Cardboard trays for tomatoes and peppers
Please remember health & safety first. So:
1) Please stay home if you feel at all sick. Allergies are at peak so cover your cough or sneeze.
2) Avoid touching your face,
3) Please bring your own water bottle, hand sanitizers if you have, garden gloves and tools if you have them.
4) Use Clorox wipes in the tool box to wipe down tools, hydrant handles in community plots and wagon handles after use.
5) Keep your distance (6' – 10'); and we will not have more than 10 in the garden at once.
Although this is an important time in the garden, these are unusual times, so please have patience with yourself and each other.
God bless you and see you at the garden!
Nimmo Garden Coordinator